Who we are
Information You Provide
This is information that you provide to us such as your name and payment information. The information we collect is different depending on if you are an account holder, become a podcast subscriber by supporting a podcaster, or become a podcaster by creating your own Hiro page.
To create an account on Hiro you have to provide your email address.
A creator is someone who creates a Hiro show and page requesting financial payment from show listeners, in exchange to premium content. To become a creator, you must create a page that describes what you are creating and any content you are offering. We collect and process this information along with any additional information you add to your profile. To receive payments you have to create an account with our payment partner, Stripe. You must also provide us with additional information for tax purposes. Depending on your location you have to fill out a form with some combination of your:
- Legal name
- Social security number or employer identification number
- Country of citizenship
- Foreign tax identification number
- Date of birth
- Your nonprofit registration number, if you are a nonprofit business
Information We Collect
We collect information automatically as you navigate the site or through our third party analytics providers. We may store usage information such as the type of device you use to access Hiro, your operating system, browser type, IP address, and device ID, the pages you visit or request, links clicked, referring sites, user interactions and your search terms. We also derive your location from your IP address.
Do Not Track
Our service does not support Do Not Track requests at this time, which means our third party analytics providers may associate your usage on Hiro with your usage on other sites.
How We Use Your Information
We never sell your information to anyone. We use your information to: Provide Hiro services to you. Allow you to sign in to your account. Allow you to pay podcasters through Hiro. Allow you to collect money as a podcaster. Send you emails relevant to your usage, as controlled by your email preferences. Reply to your questions. Understand how you use the service and market Hiro to you, including suggesting podcasters you may be interested in supporting. Create better tools for podcasters to serve podcast subscribers. Conduct research and development to improve Hiro and develop future products that our users may be interested in by analyzing how you use it. Prevent fraud and abuse on Hiro.
Information Shared with Creators
If you are a show subscriber, the following information is shared with the creators you support:
- Your email address
- Your SMS number
- Your name
- All information about your payment, including amount and start date, but not your full payment card information. If you provided your name when you paid, then we provide that to the podcaster as well.
- The first date you accessed the show.
- Episodes downloaded.
- Some aggregated and anonymized data about how you use Hiro that cannot be linked back to any individual user
Information Shared with Third Parties
Hiro.fm’s use and transfer to any other app of information received from Google APIs will adhere to Google API Services User Data Policy, including the Limited Use requirements.
Data Sharing with Third-Party AI Platforms
Data We Share
- Types of Data Shared: When you interact with our services, we may share certain non-personal, anonymized data with AI platforms like OpenAI. This includes:
- User interactions with the service (e.g., queries, commands).
- Anonymized usage statistics.
- Non-personalized content preferences.
- Data We Do Not Share: We strictly do not share any login details, personal identification information, or any other data that could be used to directly identify our users.
Purpose of Data Sharing
The data shared with third-party AI platforms is used for the following purposes:
- Enhancing and personalizing user experience on Hiro.fm.
- Improving AI algorithms and service performance.
- Conducting research and development for future service improvements.
Data Security and Confidentiality
- Anonymization: All data shared is anonymized to ensure your identity is protected.
- Security Measures: We employ robust security measures to safeguard the data we share from unauthorized access or misuse.
- Third-Party Compliance: We ensure that all third-party AI platforms, including OpenAI, adhere to strict data protection and privacy standards.
- Implicit Consent: By using Hiro.fm, you implicitly consent to the anonymized data sharing as outlined in this policy.
- Opt-Out Option: Users have the option to opt-out of data sharing. However, this may affect the personalized experience of our services.
Information Shared with the Public
Currently, there is no profile information for show subscribers that is available to the public.
Your Preferences and Rights over Data
Choosing Your Preferences
The Settings link is located on the page after you log in. Settings lets you see the what your account preferences are. You can see and adjust your settings by viewing your preferences and, if you wish, by changing your selections.
Exercising Your Data Rights
You can exercise rights over your data in the following ways: Modifying the Information in Your Account. You can modify or delete certain information associated with your account on the settings pages, as described in the “Choosing Your Preferences” section above. This includes subscriptions to podcasters. Disabling Your Account. You can permanently disable your account emailing [email protected], and requesting that we do so. Please be aware that this is a final act and you cannot log into your account again after taking this action. When you email us requesting to do so, we will remove your ability to log in within 30 days and delete all data on our servers associated with your account. This will automatically disable any future payments to podcasters. If you create a new account, you will be asked to use a different email address from the one you used previously. Even if an account is deleted, some information may be retained by our analytics providers on their own servers. Removing Marketing Emails. You can stop receiving marketing emails by clicking the unsubscribe link from the bottom of any email sent to you. While this removes your marketing emails, service related emails are still sent, including how you can optimize your Hiro experience and suggestions for which podcasters to follow. Understanding Our Data Retention Periods. We retain your information for ten years, unless you disable your account information from you account settings. Please note that once you disable your account, you will not be able to log in again. If you want to log into Hiro again by creating a new account, you may be prompted to use a new email address from the one you previously used on your disabled account.
Additional Questions Related to Privacy. For additional privacy-related questions about your account, you may email us at [email protected].
European Union Data Transfer
Transfer of Data to the United States
We may use your information to offer you products and services that we think may be of interest to you, unless you have opted out of marketing communications. If you are in the European Economic Area, where required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent before sending you any marketing communications. You may object to the use of your data for direct marketing purposes at any time, free of charge, when we collect your personal information and in every marketing communication. We will never provide your information to third parties for marketing purposes without your prior consent.
The security of your personal information is important to us and we follow industry standards to protect it. Full credit card numbers are never accessed by our system, and the most sensitive data we store is encrypted to keep it secure. To further protect your information we suggest using a strong and unique password for your Hiro account.
Hiro is not directed at children under the age of 13, and they may not create an account or otherwise use Hiro.
We may sometimes make changes to this policy. If we make material changes that adversely affect your rights under this policy, we will let you know by posting an announcement on the site or sending you an email prior to the changes coming into effect. Continuing to use Hiro after a change to this policy means you accept the new policy.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
Last updated December 13, 2023